After a very long search on Google for the perfect recipe for energy bites I came across many different variations – some that you had to bake, some with a thousand different ingredients, and some which looked like I’d rather chew on cardboard.
After posting my not so naughty treats on social media I’ve had a few requests for the recipe. Although I never did find the ideal recipe that I was hoping for… With a bit of inspiration from a mixture of recipes and after a few experiments in the kitchen I created my own.
These are a winner! Even if I do say so myself *insert sassy emoji*.
So, if you’re in need of a healthy snack, and have a sweet tooth like I do, then this recipe is for you!
TIP: For the blender, if you have a nutribullet I would suggest NOT using that. The mixture gets very sticky, the first time I attempted it with the nutribullet I blew the fuse – oops!
1 cup raw seeds (I use 30g sunflower seeds 80g pumpkin seeds)
30g cocoa powder
1tsb vanilla extract
pinch of salt
100g dates (chopped into half or quarter)
2 or 3tbsp water
shredded coconut (or whatever you want) to cover and decorate them
1. Add the seeds and salt to the blender and mix
2. Add the cocoa powder and vanilla extract to the mixture and blend together
3. Add the dates a few at a time, blending in between and adding the water 1tbsp at a time as needed until all the mixture has come together.
4. Spoon the mixture out a little at a time rolling it into bite-sized balls.
5. Then roll the mixture in your chosen toppings. I use cacao powder/ shredded coconut/ shaved almonds and my ultimate favourite – edible glitter (although not the healthiest option!)
Put them in the fridge to chill, then enjoy!
Love Elle x